Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

     
     This movie has forever changed my view of mermaids.  Well, now that I think about it, they were pretty different in the Peter and the Starcatchers books as well as in the Harry Potter books and movies.  Not that that is a bad thing. Just different.  I really liked the mermaids in Pirates, even though they were very scary.  They were very cool.
      The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has been a very fun one.  As it usually goes I liked the first one best.  It is just awesome.  I know there is a lot of controversy about whether or not the other two were good.  I enjoyed them all.  They are just fun, I loved Will and Elizabeth and that whole story line.  I do enjoy most of Orlando Blooms performances.  He is fun to watch.  I am not a huge Keira Knightley fan but liked her in the first two Pirate movies and she was fine in the third, didn’t really bother me. 
      This newest installment of Pirates is all about Jack Sparrow.  In case you didn’t know Jack Sparrow is played by, and was created by Johnny Depp (Secret Window, Benny and Joon, Sweeny Todd)  Huge fan of Johnny Depp right here. Lets be honest he has been the best thing about the whole Pirates franchise. Watching him play Jack Sparrow you can’t help but smile, and maybe chuckle a bit.  This may have been his best Jack.  I am a little biased so it’s hard to say, but he was great.  Penelope Cruz (Blow, Vanilla Sky, Nine) played opposite Johnny Depp. They had great chemistry but this is acctually the second time they have worked together.  She played Johnny Depp’s wife in the movie Blow (2001). So, of course she did great as the love interest. What can I say you kind of know what you are going to get with Cruz and she delivers. Feisty and gorgeous. Geoffrey Rush (Shine, the King’s Speech) returns as Barbossa and Ian McShane (Kung Fu Panda, Love Joy) joins the cast as Blackbeard, that was a fun twist.
      All in all this was a fun movie with some very cool mermaids and Jack Sparrow antics. (However, I am a little bias when it comes to Johnny Depp.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment