Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Smurfs


     “Do not be fooled by their cuteness!”  Can I start by saying how much I adore Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser M.D., How I met your mother, Beastly)! He is wonderful to watch in any thing he does.  My three daughters and I went to see the Smurfs (2011).  We only decided to see it once we found out that Neil Partick Harris was in it.  Was it Oscar worthy, groundbreaking amazing? No. Was it cute, fun, entertaining and nostalgic? Yes. Well, nostalgic for me anyway.  I grew up watching the Smurfs, it was among one of my favorite cartoons.
       Raja Gosnell (Never Been Kissed, Scooby-Doo, Home Alone) directed the Smurfs and did a great job. He was able to keep it very Smurfy. Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays (Glee, Mall Cop, Red Eye) are a young married couple expecting their first child.  Jayma is adorable and does an excellent job.  Hank Azaria (The Simpsons, Godzilla, Love and Other Drugs) plays Gargamel.  Now, I do have to say that I never really liked the character of Gargamel in the cartoons and I really didn’t like him in the movie version.  I guess that means Hank Azaria played him well? Yes, he really did. However, I loved the cat, Azrael, in the cartoon and in the movie.  The combination of real cat and CGI cat was so good and very funny.  He was great.
        The Smurfs, what can I say about them?  Wonderful voice talents, very cute little blue guys and entertaining. We all really enjoyed the movie. Would I buy it? I don’t know but I would watch it again and again and again. Just to see Neil Patrick Harris try to hug a Smurf. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment