Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

      Quite possibly one of the best New Year’s Eves ever! The girls where all busy so my husband and I had the evening to ourselves.  We decided to go to a movie.  This is always okay by me. We saw the new Sherlock Holmes (2011) movie.  I really enjoyed it.
      Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, Lucky You, The Soloist) plays the role so well.  I enjoyed this one even more than the first one.  The chemistry between Holmes and Watson was great! Dr. Watson is played by Jude Law (Cold Mountain, Enemy at the Gates, Repo Man) he is just amazing and makes Watson a wonderful character.  The entire cast was great and the story line was so good.  I get tired of seeing the same story over and over.  Even though I love movies and I will watch the same “boy meets girl” or “good guy catches bad guy” story again and again I love it when I come across something new.  Sherlock Holmes was not predictable.
      A Shadow of Games is a really fun title and a concept that is, of course, carried out throughout the movie.  There is an amazing chess game that was so fun to watch! If you saw the first Sherlock Holmes (2009) then you are familiar with Guy Ritchie’s (Snatch, RocknRolla, Swept Away) directing style for these movies.  It is one of the things that really make these movies very entertaining to watch.  His slow motion camera of what Holmes is thinking is so cool. 
      There are some fun new characters introduced in this Sherlock Holmes adventure. Stephen Fry (V for Vendetta, A Bear Named Winnie, House of Boys) plays one of those new characters.  He is an actor I have really come to like.  I love his character Gordon Gordon on Bones and now, thanks to my mom, I am loving him on Kingdom. Kingdom is a British TV series that ran from 2007-2009, Stephen Fry plays the main character Peter Kingdom. It was fun to see him in Sherlock Holmes and I really didn’t expect to see THAT much of him. No one, should see that much of Kingdom.
       Jared Harris (Extraordinary Measures, The Ward, Mad Men, Fringe) plays Professor James Moriarty, another new addition.  He is pretty creepy and plays an excellent villain. The match up between Moriarty and Holmes is really good. After all, aren’t all superheroes only as good as the villains they face.
      A Game of Shadows picks up right where the first Sherlock Holmes movie leaves off.  Spoiler alert if you haven’t seen the first.  Watson is getting married. Kelly Reilly (Eden Lake, Pride & Prejudice, Me and Orson Welles) plays the wonderful Mary Watson. She is great. All in all I really liked this movie, so much so that I would buy it for my collection.  Guess I need to buy the first one too then.  I can’t have a sequel in my collection and not have the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment