Friday, February 10, 2012

A Bear Named Winnie

      Alright, I admit it; I am a huge cry baby. There are certain things that just get me emotional no matter what. I will never be able to watch The Fox and The Hound (1981) without crying.  I cried like a baby while watching Hachi (2009). I have a bit of a soft spot for animals. They are such an important part of my life. Don’t even get me started about the military. (Just read my post about The Hurt Locker (2008) back in July) That gets me teary as well. Throw in a true story and oh my …….
      So, it goes without saying I cried at the end of A Bear Named Winnie (2004). You put the love of animals with the military and I really don’t stand a chance.  The fact that it is based on a true story of something I grew up loving as well doesn’t help at all.
      A Bear Named Winnie is the true story of a Canadian soldier who adopts an orphaned bear cub.  It took place during World War I and he was on his was to England from Winnipeg.  That is how the bear got her name.  It is actually Winnipeg but they call her Winnie for short.  The movie is one of those that begins at the end.  A man and his son are at the London Zoo admiring a bear named Winnie.  The boy is curious about her story. That leads into her back story which is very sweet.  In the end you find out that the man was A.A. Milne with his son Christopher. This story was the inspiration for the Winnie The Pooh stories.  So cute but yea, bring the Kleenex. Speaking of which, box of tissue for when I see War Horse (2011)? Oh yes! Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment