Friday, April 13, 2012

Hugo

      My first thoughts about Hugo (2011) was, "This is a children's book?"  It seemed so deep and way to involved to be a children's picture book.  Obviously I have never read the book, but I am now very interested in getting my hands on a copy.  I watched a behind the scenes/making of segment about Hugo and the book it is based on.  There are certain shots in the movie that are right out of the book. There are many reasons I was curious to see this movie.  First and foremost it is a Martin Scorsese (Goodfellas, The Departed, Shutter Island, Taxi Driver) and it isn't bloody! There are no gruesome deaths, no gangsters or mobsters, no shootouts.  I think it would be safe to say that Hugo is his only "family friendly" movie. I just had to check out this whole new side to Scorsese!

     Hugo probably isn't for everyone.  I know it was nominated for best picture at the Oscars and won a great deal of other awards. That being said it is a very "artsy" film.  I found it very interesting and visualy stunning.  The cinematography is just beautiful.  The acting is wonderful and of course the directing is magnificent.  Can I say any less for Scorsese? (I would be scared to say otherwise)  Ben Kingsley (Schindler's List, Gandhi, Sneakers, House of Sand and Fog) is simply amazing.  Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Wolfman, Nanny McPhee Returns) is very talented. I am anxiously waiting to see him as Ender Wiggin in next years Ender's Game (2013). I could see a bit of Ender in Hugo and I think he is going to be great in that one as well. Hugo really has a great cast and if you can watch it for the artistic feel and appreciate the beauty that it is you may enjoy it.  Not to mention the wonderful Automaton and the steampunk look and feel the movie has. It has a fascinating story line as well.  There is way to much going on to explain.  Lets just say it is more than a boy living in a train station and it touches on the beginning origins of moving pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment