Friday, May 18, 2012

The Matrix

      Can writers be one-hit wonders the way musicians can be?  If so the Wachowski brothers (V for Vendetta, Speed Racer, Bound) would be one-hit wonders.  I don't mean that in a negative way or anything.  After all I still haven't seen V for Vendetta (2005).  Maybe that one is pretty awesome as well.  I do know that The Matrix (1999) is quite possibly one of the coolest movies I have ever seen. Whether you like the movie or not you have to admit the impact it has had on movies and on pop culture.  Can it be called, revolutionary? I even make reference to The Matrix in my post about In Time (2011)

      I will never forget going to see The Matrix is the theaters for the very first time.  Five minutes into it you knew you were watching something new.  When you see Trinity, portrayed by Carrie-Anne Moss (Memento, Chocolat, Distrubia) hovering, right before she kicks the guy.........WOW! I was blown away.  How many times have we seen that scene repeated or mimicked in other media now? And, we can't forget Keanu Reeves (The Lake House, A Walk in the Clouds, Much Ado About Nothing, Constantine) famous dodging bullets scene.  That was just beautiful and has also been redone over and over.  And we can't forget when Neo learns what Morpheus meant by, "when you are ready, you won't need to." Morpheus is just an amazing character portrayed by Laurence Fishburne (Contagion, 21, Akeelah and the Bee, Mystic River), who himself is pretty amazing.  Because of Morpheus we will forever be asking, would you have taken the red pill or the blue pill? After all if "you take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes".

       The Wachowski brothers truly created a wonderful thing with The Matrix. The story line is so good.  I have seen the entire trilogy.  I have this thing about trilogies though.  The middle one is always my least favorite.  It just is.  The last one was pretty good, but all I need is the original.  I am perfectly happy just watching that one and don't really worry about the other two.  They are good and they do continue the story it's just that I like the first one the best.  After all it is the one that taught me this very important life lesson. "Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead....only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment