Monday, May 7, 2012

The Muppets

      One evening I was in line at Redbox and overheard a conversation between an eight year old girl and her older sister.  They were trying to pick a movie.  The older sister, who was maybe eleven, was suggesting The Muppets (2011).  To which the little sister replied, "No! I saw that it is soooo booooring".   Is that true? Are the Muppets boring?  Everyone I have talked to about The Muppets newest movie has said the same thing.  "It is so slow", "how boring".
  
       This question is a major focal point of the script.  Chris Cooper (American Beauty, The Bourne Identity, Adaptation, The Patriot) whom I just love, is the "bad guy".  He was amazing in Remember Me (2010) as a tough New York City police officer. But then to see him as an evil oil tycoon in The Muppets? That was great! He even sings a little song and has some pretty funny lines. Such as "maniacal laugh ..... maniacal laugh ...."

       Kermit needs to get the gang back together and raise money to save the Muppets studio and name. They decide to do a telethon and proceed to pitch the idea to studios.  Nobody wants to touch it.  They all say, no way.  The last lady they talk to explains to them that they are all washed up.  They aren't popular any more and they don't fit in with what is popular.  To which Kermit replies "I think kids are better and smarter then this junk".  Are they?  Have we overstimulated them to the point that the Muppets are boring? No CGI, no flying creatures, no space ships or aliens and it isn't worth our time? 

       I have always loved the Muppets and this movie stayed very true to the original Muppet show.  Including some awesome celebrity cameos! I liked this movie for the nostalgia of it. The songs where silly and fun. It has a wonderful message and you can laugh at the bad guy because he isn't as scary and menacing as most are now a days.  That being said. Will your kids enjoy it?  I don't know.  Do they see the humor in that kind of comedy or does it go over their heads and just bore them?  My girls haven't watched it yet so I can't tell you what they thought of it.  I do wonder though?

No comments:

Post a Comment