Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

      Ok ....... I have to ask ........ What were they thinking?!? What did they do to Ghost Rider?!?  I liked the first Ghost Rider which came out in 2007.  That one was Directed by Mark Steven Johnson ( Dardevil, Jack Frost, Grumpy Old Men, Elektra) He did a good job.  It had it's dark, evil moments. I mean, it is a story about a boy who sells his soul to the Devil, but it was still pretty family friendly and people liked it.  The Ghost Rider looked pretty cool too. Nicolas Cage, (Face/Off, National Treasure, Lord of War, City of Angels) was .... well .... Nicolas Cage.  I like him, he may be the same in every role but I usually enjoy his movies. 


     So, they decide to do a sequel. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) For some reason that I do not understand they go with Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank, Crank: High Voltage, Gamer, Jonah Hex) to direct.  Really? I am sure the Crank movies have their fans. I am just not sure they are the same fans that enjoy the comic book movies.  I could be mistaken. They have a very interesting style of directing.  I have never seen any of their other movies so this was a first.  It wasn't bad.  They have a cool style and it was very different.  Just not what I expect from Ghost Rider. 


      The directing wasn't the only thing I stuggled with during this movie.  I really think Nicolas Cage lost his mind.  I am not sure what he was doing with the character but he has gone a little crazy since we last saw Johnny Blaze. They also changed Ghost Rider himself. He was very oily, that may be the best way to say it. Spirit of Vengence was also much darker and had more of an evil feeling to it than the first.  Think of The Omen (1976). Just not the direction I expected the story to take.  Now, I do have to say I have never read the comics, maybe this is very true to the way the comic book went.  I don't know.  I just didn't care for it. I think I will stick to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment