Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman


     Let me tell you, for a kid who grew up watching Willow (1988), Labyrinth (1986) and Legend (1985) this movie could not have been any better. Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) fits right in with these classics from my childhood. I really enjoyed it. I have been anticipating this movie for over a year. I mean, the moment I heard mention of it I was excited. Then as casting began, more excitement and finally filming began and then wrapped. Like I said, following and waiting for a long time. When I finally got to sit in a theater and see the title on the big screen I wanted to applaud! I was so excited! Then that tiny moment of dread, what if ………?  What if it’s not as good as I have been hoping?  What if it totally flops?  What if I'm disappointed?  I have tried really hard to avoid any reviews so my view wouldn’t be tainted. It didn’t work to well for this one.  I was to slow getting to the theater and was bombarded with a lot of negative reviews. I was not sure at all what to expect.
     
      No need to worry. I was not disappointed at all!  I really liked this movie a lot.  The dialog was wonderful.  The story was great and I liked the old fashion feel of it as a whole.  In an odd way there was a Shakespearean quality to it. Which I liked. When Snow White gives her "let's go to war" speach .... very good. The movie as a whole flowed really well, from the costumes, to the music, to the overall look and feel. Charlize Theron (Hancock, Trial and Error, The Astronaut’s Wife, Trapped) is simply amazing as the evil queen Ravenna.  I haven’t seen her in Monster (2003) but have heard so much about it that I couldn’t help but think of that title as I watched her performance as this particular monster. She was pretty nasty and that makeup job was incredible.  The entire cast was wonderful.  I really liked Chris Hemsworth (Star Trek, Thor, The Cabin in the Woods) as the Huntsman, he was great!

      James Newton Howard (Pretty Woman, Waterworld, Signs, Vertical Limit) wrote the score. He is one of my favorite composers. The music tied it all together so well, it was beautiful. We can’t forget about the cinematography.  It is just gorgeous. It was filmed on location in the U.K. The entire movie is gorgeous. I have to mention the costumes as well.  Colleen Atwood (Big Fish, The Silence of the Lambs, The Tourist, Memoirs of a Geisha) was the costume designer. The costumes are incredible! Her attention to detail is amazing! All in all I just loved this movie! Every little piece of it. Now comes
the long wait until I can buy it to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment