Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Green Hornet

     Questions, should I bother talking about movies I am not passionate about? Are people interested in reading about the movies if I am not that interested in writing about them? Should I talk about it because it is a new release? Ok - I love movies and they don't all have to be some deep wonderful thing that changes my life.  I can enjoy them just for the entertainment value.  However, there does have to be some entertainment value.
      I am capable of just enjoying a "beach movie".  I learned this term once in reference to books. There is what we call a "beach book", that is to say a very easy read, not real deep, it's not going to change your life, make you cry, you could just sit on the beach and read without a lot of thought.  I now use that term for movies as well.  However, as I said, there does have to be some entertainment value.
     Why am I rambling on about this? Because my family and I watched The Green Hornet (2011). I was not impressed. If you liked Iron Man (2008) you will probably like this one. Rich man with daddy issues, daddy dies leaves snotty son the company; son is disrespectful to everyone including himself.  You get the idea, very similar to Iron Man. 
      Good point, it did have some, Kato is played by Jay Chou (The Treasure Hunter, True Legend) who hasn't done a whole lot.  He did a wonderful job and I really enjoyed him on screen.  I will have to admit that I don't know much about the Green Hornet but is Kato supposed to be so much cooler? It seemed like he was the one running the show while the Green Hornet got all of the credit? 
     The special effects are awesome and very fun.  I didn't care to much for the directing style but that is just me. The language was a little much to deal with as well.  I know that may seem odd considering some of the movies I watch.  I am really not a prude about language but it does have to at least make sense and fit into the story.  I felt like it was thrown in just for the sake of it.  Seth Rogen (Knocked up, Superbad, Pineapple express) played the Green Hornet and was one of the writers.  I had a lot of issues with the writing, the dialog, the story, as I mentioned the language, some of the jokes.  Then again I am not really a fan of Seth Rogen.  I know he has fans and people really like him.  If you fit into that category you will really like this movie. 
       Don't get me wrong I like comic books and I like a lot of the movie adaptations. I really enjoyed the Spider-man movies, the Batman movies, love the X-men movies. I am just not a huge fan of the Iron Man movies or the Green Hornet.  Maybe it's the snobby playboy who is so full of himself he is blind to everything else around him. I don't really know.

No comments:

Post a Comment