Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hop

     I took my 13 year old daughter to see Hop a few days ago. Now, what you should know about my daughter is .... she is a tomboy.  She has never been into cutesy, girly, things and only wanted to see this movie because James Marsden (X-Men, Enchanted, 27 Dresses) is in it.  We love the X-Men movies and enjoyed James Marsden's portrail of Cyclops.  So, the movie got over and the first thing my daughter says is "that was a very weird role to see James Marsden in".  I had to remind her that he was also in Enchanted and his role as Prince Edward was also pretty "weird".
     Hop is a cute movie, entertaining but predictable. It is not the best script and wouldn't win any oscars or anything but you have to know that is not the kind of movie you are going to when you see the trailers. The screenplay was written by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio who also gave us Despicable Me, Horton hears a Who and Santa Clause 2. What I really liked about the movie Hop is how clean it was.  Which is a huge surprise considering Russell Brand (Arthur, Get him to the Greek, Bedtime Stories) is involved in it. Russell Brand does the voice for E.B., the Easter Bunny. He did a great job and even has a very funny cameo appearing as himself.
   My daughter was not very impressed when it ended.  We had a few laughs but she didn't seem very impressed.  We love to quote movies and one of her comments was that it didn't have any good lines to quote.  I pointed out that I enjoyed how clean it was. 
   I have heard and read so many comments about wanting a good family friendly clean movie.  Well that is exactly what you get with Hop.  So, if we finally get one shouldn't we like it and support it. I even found a few quotable lines.  I pointed these things out to my daughter and we talked about it quite a bit. In the end we were laughing and decided that we really enjoyed it.  If you ask her about it today she will say she loved it and probably will quote a few lines for you.
   Now, this may sound like I talked her into liking it and you may think that isn't right.  I don't really see it that way.  I think it is one of my jobs as a parent to teach my children to enjoy art in all its forms and to look at things from every angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment